Thursday, February 19, 2009

Scarface: My Journey into natural skincare
















I used to have a little indent in my cheek that I have had for just about ever. It was only about the size of a lentil. Nobody ever noticed it, that is how small it was. One day I noticed that it was no longer an indent but now stuck out. I immediately called and made an appointment with a friend's dermatologist. After looking at it, he reluctantly biopsied it. His feeling was that it was not malignant and biopsying it would just cause unnecessary scarring. I insisted due to my mother always making me paranoid about skin cancer! (It is prevelant in our family.) After a ten minute procedure and promises of phone calls of results I left and didn't give it another thought. I was so shocked when a week later his nurse called me back telling me it was a severe atypical compound nevus. WHAT!?! I was speechless,(this never happens to me I always have SOMETHING to say!) I was so shocked. I asked if this meant it was malignant? She said it did. Then she gave me a phone number of a plastic surgeon and told me they were expecting my call. No one can ever give you enough information to make you feel better. I went home and searched the internet over for more details.





Going through treatment was terrifying. They were not very good at making me feel comfortable. On the day of the "surgery" my dear husband took the day off from corporate America to take care of me. They removed 1.25in by 1in by 3.5mm deep. I had no idea how awful I was going to feel. I was so wiped out. The doctor warned me to not lift anything more than my small 4 month old baby. I slept around the clock for about 2 days. As you can imagine, this was no small feet with 6 kids that needed care!





About 2 months later our family decided to attend the Medievil Festival held in Norman Oklahoma. We had a blast as both grandmas were there and 3 out of 4 aunts were able to make it! Not to mentio, we got to go to our fave restuarant... The Greek House. FUN!!! But the reason this is so important to my story is this is the place where I was first introduced to hand crafted, homemade, natural soap. The smell and texture, size and feel was something I was so inthralled with! It would be almost a full year before I had the courage to try making it myself.





So that is how/why I got into natural skincare. But that is just the beginning! :o)






No comments:

Post a Comment